Friday, November 7, 2008

Donovan's Home

This is a picture of Donovan Monday, Nov. 3rd, after surgery, in the ICU. He was in and out of it all day. It was very difficult to get a picture of him with his eyes open. I have not seen so many tubes hooked up to one person. I kept trying to pull up his gown and he told me to leave it alone, but he doesn't remember even discussing that. Isn't that a beautiful scar?This picture of Donovan taken on Wed. Nov. 5th. He was moved to intermediate care and most of the tubes were removed. He has to hold the heart shaped pillow close to his chest everytime he coughs. We don't want that chest busting open!
Friday, Nov. 7th, Donovan home on the couch. He is still very sore and stiff. The doctors told him no lifting or moving anything over 5 lbs. for 8 weeks. He will be home for the next three weeks and then back to work. Thanks Anne and Wayne for flying to take care of us. Anne watched Jyllian everyday, so I could go spend the afternoon at the hospital. It's always nice to have Wayne visit. I had a to do list ready for him. He never complains about my list.






13 comments:

Catherine said...

I like the heart pillow idea. At first I thought it might have been a gift from you and the kids to Donovan. Yea for Anne and Wayne, saving the day!

Julie said...

Thank you for letting us know what is going on. We hope you recover quickly, Donovan!

Kristen said...

Yikes! That is some hairy face. Oh, I really mean, Yikes! That looks like it hurts. We are glad that Donovan is home and hope he continues to do well. Love you!

Karen said...

I'm so glad Donovan is home and made it through the surgery.

Julie said...

Glad everything is ok and he is recovering. Zane is curious about what type of physical therapy they are going to have him do. (These med students ;-)

Spencer Family said...

We're so glad he's home and doing well! Poor guy! That looks like a terribly painful incision, and all that it entails.

Janae, I hope you remember to take time for yourself too. The stress of taking care of someone you love can take its toll, as I'm sure you know. (Sometimes a warm relaxing bath is all you need to rejuvinate yourself!) :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Donovan is doing well! I was so worried about him. You sound so brave talking about it. I would be an emotional wreck. We'll keep you in our prayers.

folsom3rdRS said...

Donovan, you look pretty good for open heart surgery. It could have been worse, Melby could have been the surgeon. :)

tanjar said...

Good to see that you are home. We hope you continue to mend and progress. Are you going to be watching day time soaps or hunting for the next 3 wks?

Take care you, are in our prayers.

melbys said...

Huevon: I hope Klodell put the P2 section back how it belongs. That small incision on your chest will hardly be noticeably when you're in your swimsuit, cuttin' a big old rooster on the Meramec river. I'm glad you're doing great and hope you can lift more than 5 lbs after 8 weeks of atrophy has set in. And there's one thing worse than Melby cutting on you: that would be a Wayment cutting on you.

Prior Family said...

I'm so glad to hear that Donovan is doing well. I still can't believe that he had open heart surgery. Does that mean we are starting to get old or just Donovan?
Love you guys. Get better soon. Di

Julie H. said...

Glad to hear that Donovan is home and recovering from surgery. I hope everything goes ok and you guys can enjoy the time together for the next few weeks.

Grandma Grace said...

We need an update on how Donovan, and you Janae are doing with all this.
GG