Sunday, May 9, 2010

Strawberry Picking at Roger's Farm

On April 24, I went strawberry picking at Roger's Farm. A few friends had told me about a great place to pick fresh strawberries. Florida (and the Newberry area where we live) grows a lot of strawberries. I remember picking apples in St. Louis and thought it would be fun to pick strawberries. Everytime I see a strawberry stand on the corner here in town, I want to stop and buy a case to make fresh strawberry jam. I was introduced to freezer jam several years ago from Donovan's Grandma Lott and his mother. It is the best stuff ever. Anne has come to my home several times to watch my kids, and she has made us several batches of this wonderful stuff. I decided I was going to try and make it. I took my girls and Jasmine's friend, Morgan. We picked six buckets in no time at all. We even ate a few along the way.
We wanted to keep picking, but one can only do so much with fresh strawberries.

Jyllian picked a whole bucket by herself.


I think I should have only picked four buckets. I ended up making two different batches. I made eight containers of freezer jam and twelve jars of jam. They both turned out yummy. We had strawberry jello, strawberry shortcake, and strawberry shakes too.

The girls wanted to go back again...maybe next year.





No comments: