Saturday, August 2, 2008

Dominique's Birthday in Island Park

On the 4th of July, I flew with my four children to Utah to return to my "motherland." I usually fly one-way by myself on my annual trek, because Donovan can't take off for the three weeks that I think I need to spend there. Somebody has to work! I don't have any pictures of the Stadium of Fire, but I took my two boys and Jasmine. Dominique and Dreyton thought that the parachuters were fake little men coming down from the sky. It was their first time seeing parachuters that was really cool. When the jets flew over, Dreyton siad, "That was awesome!" However, when Miley Cyrus took the stage to perform, Dreyton booed to the dismay of many a little chick-a-dee (and future zoo-bee) in attendance. I had never seen so many young ladies and girls scowl and give the evil eye as they did to Dreyton. Hopefully, none of them cast any evil spell on him that will actually work.

Donovan flew in on July 16th, and we drove to Island Park on the 17th. Donovan, Jyllian, and I drove through the thriving, metropolitan state of Idaho (AKA the Gem state) to Island Park to meet my family. We were stuck in rush hour traffic just outside of Rexburg as Bro Smith was moving his cattle across the main stop in town along with Bro Jones. We went up there for the first family reunion for the Larry Peterson family (Can you say, "Oh my Larry?!"). There were a lot of people staying in the house/cabin we all rented (47 including my mom's dog, Buddy), and Donovan just loved the togetherness of it all (especially the sharing of bathrooms). Anne and I (mostly Anne), made a red velvet birthday cake for Dominique. Dominique celebrated his 12th birthday in Island Park, Idaho. When we cut the cake, we offered it to the family. Most of them hadn't heard of a red velvet cake. I didn't know what red velvet cake was until I met Donovan and his family enlightend me on this exquisite dessert. The first time I tasted it, I didn't like it. I do like red velvet cake now, but it's not my favorite. Donovan and Dominique love that stuff.
The kids were roasting marshmellows around the camp fire and acted like young pyromaniacs. It was really windy and cold that night. Of course our blood has thinned considerably since we last lived in Utah 12 years ago, and we are now used to Florida weather (AKA the Sunshine state). Dominique actually thought living in Idaho and Montana wouldn't be such a bad idea, but we are thinking less cold and snow is a good thing.


1 comment:

Kristen said...

That cabin looks very nice. I am not in love with the whole red velvet cake myself, but I am glad that Dominique liked it.