Sunday, April 6, 2008

Spring Fun

Dominique, Dreyton, and Jasmine are now on spring break. It was about 85 degrees on Sat. The kids wanted to go swimming, but the sprinkler would have to do. Miss Jasmine got stuck in the bucket, and Donovan thought it would be a great picture for our post. All of the spiders, mosquitos, cockroaches, ants, lizards, snakes and every other living creature are now out in full force. I hate creepy crawly things, epecially when the land on me. It just freaks me out!







Friday night we went to the bat house on the University of Florida's campus. There are thousands of bats that come out of this gazebo at dusk. The bats fly across the road towards the gator lake. Yes, there are also alligators in the lake and you would not want to waterski there (well, I know someone who probably still would). I know Kristen and my sister Julie would pass up the opportunity to see the bats, but it really is quite interesting.


I finally conned Donovan into getting a piano. I've wanted one for about ten years but really couldn't justify getting a piano. I now have a daughter that is of age to play, and I told Donovan she isn't getting any younger. I've been searching for pianos for about three months, and this was in the paper. It is four years old and I felt it was a good deal. As Wayne (Grandpa Lott) would say, "Such a deal." The kids haven't quit playing it since it arrived, but I know the newness will wear off.





Dominique loves to play the trombone. It appears that I may end up with a musical family as Donovan does have a musical gene (although it must be recessive for him as he can only play the radio, and he is really not that good at even that!). I am currenty bidding on a guitar for Dreyton's birthday, so shhhhhhh. Don't tell him anything about it in case we get outbid.
We have tried everything to assist our 7 year-old to stop sucking her thumb. We have taken away toys and privliges, we have used bad tasting thumb paste, we have offered rewards, and we have even beat her with a whip (Ok, not really...just wanted to see if you were reading this whole thing. Now drop the phone and don't worry about calling Child Protective Services). Does anyone have any good ideas to help Jasmine use her opposable thumb for something more than a pacifier??

4 comments:

Julie said...

Janae,
This is from Julie your cousin, not your sister, by the way.
It is fun to read what you've been doing - I'm glad you have a blog. I am so jealous of the weather, but not the bugs or bats. I sucked my thumb for a LONG time and my parents tried all of those things. I finally stopped when my brothers told some of my friends and I got embarrassed. I would not recommend that for emotional reasons, but it did work. Maybe you could give her some gum or something else to chew on? Good luck with that - I'd love to hear if you find what works, because Hannah sucks her fingers and it makes her hands stink.

Anne and Wayne said...

Your piano is really pretty. I am glad that you were able to get it.
Tell Jasmine she ought to be glad that her hind end can fit into a bucket, even if it gets stuck a little, because one day she will wish she could still fit into something that small. Oh, and how come Donovan didn't find anything sarcastic to say about my "100" list. Kristen and I are going to make on up about him. Heh heh

Kristen said...

Love the piano. It's beautiful. Hate the story of bats, that's disgusting. You should be glad the weather is great there because I am in Utah visiting and it is stinking cold. I need to get back to my nice weather. Love the pictures of Jasmine in the bucket too.

Karen said...

I hate creepy, crawly things too. I scream when I see them! Good looking piano!