Thursday, March 26, 2009

Good Weather...grasshoppers & spiders??

We have had the best weather here in the Gainesville area lately. It has been around 75-85 degrees for the high for the last couple of weeks. It is so nice to be outside and enjoying the beautiful days. The kids have been riding their bikes, scooters, and skateboards everyday. The boys have a new project too. Dominique and Dreyton have started catching grasshoppers. Yesterday, Dominique showed me a water bottle with a grasshopper inside of it. He said it had laid eggs inside the bottle. I told him to take the bottle outside immediately. He then proceeded to tell me that he had the bottle in his room for over a week!! He also told me that his dad said I would not approve of them being inside. This means, of course, that his dad knew they were in our boys' bedroom and didn't even bother to tell me! I quickly found Dominique a plastic container in the garage that he could keep the grasshoppers in, but I told him that he had to keep it outside. He was so excited that he took off on his bike to catch more.













Why do boys like bugs? I just dread bugs, but at least I can kill spiders now. As a child I would pay my sister to kill them for me, and let's just say that she made a lot of money back in the day. Since, I moved to Florida, I have learned I either kill the spider myself, or this incredibly disgusting bug will be in my house. And there are not too many of the 8-legged creatures that make it past my exterminating footwear!

5 comments:

Tricia said...

Oh YUCK!! I HATE bugs...especially ones that can jump and 'surprise' ya. I totally feel for you! And I would smack Donovan for aiding and abetting :)

The flowers in front of my house are azaleas...love them!

Kristen said...

You are so lucky on the good weather. I can't wait to be there to enjoy it. And I do have to say that when I am talking to you on the phone you don't scream anymore when you see a bug...you just squish it. You have made great improvements in that throughout the years.

Karen said...

Is that a picture of Dominique's grasshopper? It's kinda cool lookin' that close up, but I hate em too. They eat my flowers and plants in my yard and make them look nasty. I am so excited for the nice spring weather in FL i get to experience in just over a week. Make sure no one scares it away!

Anne and Wayne said...

Where did you get that spide picture?! Yuck. I don't like spiders, either, but think they are better than snakes. I am sure that I have told you that one summer Donovan and Justin Schelin caught Black Widows and put them in a bottle. Guess which one of the two boys brought the bottle home?

Poulsen Family said...

Yikes! Those pictures make me shiver. We found a tarantula this week in our back yard and I caught it in a jar so the kids could look at it. I had the biggest adrenaline rush after cause I was so scared to catch it. I'm with you, I would NOT want the bugs in the house.

We hadn't heard about the Priors, let them know if they need any insiders info. they can contact us and the Williams!