Sunday, February 1, 2009

I knew this day would come!



I always knew this day would eventually come. What day is that?, you ask. It is when my children pass me up in height. Dreyton wanted me to measure his height today. Of course, we had to find out if he had finally surpassed his dear old mother's "giant" stature. Dominique and Dreyton have been neck and neck with each other, but Dominique is still slightly taller. But it is official that they are now both taller than me. **sigh** I measured the boys in the fall, but they were still a tad bit shorter than me. Since then, I knew they had grown due to the length of their pants I had bought for them increasing. Dominique didn't fit his band uniform a few weeks ago, but I wasn't going to remind them that they had probably passed me up. To keep my sons from being too puffed up, I had to remind my boys that being taller than me is not a very hard thing to do. I've been short my whole life, and it doesn't make me feel better that I'm shrinking with old age. I need all the height I can get!! It's strange not to have to bend down in order to kiss your children. I guess I'll be soon standing on my tippy toes to kiss my boys. Just as I do with my husband.
I get comments all the time. People will say, "Did you know you are short? Wow! You are short!" I think to myself, "Really...Where have you been?" I've always been short, but I don't need people to remind me of that fact. As you can see, I am feeling a little bitter of this "huge" accomplishment my two sons have met. On the bright side, Donovan is trying to have our accountant look at my decreased height as a possible tax deduction with the new Obama plan.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh Janae, you are lucky. Because you are so short it makes you look young. Way to get some Lott genes boys.

Julie said...

Just for the record, Janae, I really look up to you!

Anne and Wayne said...

Janae, I look up to you, too. I want you to know that I have always, always looked at mothers sitting between, or by, their sons and wished that my two boys had been close enough in age that I could have sat between them in church, or anywhere else, when they were big enough to look like they were taking care of me. You are so lucky to have them. I know you know they are really good boys, but I want you to know that I think so, too.

Karen said...

When I saw that picture I thought the boys had decided to slip into some of your high heeled shoes. (just kidding!) And hey, remember Donovan and Bryan are both taller than Mom!

Grandma Grace said...

My husband always hoped our boys would all be taller than him, and they are. Wouldn't you rather have the boys taller and the girls shorter than vice versa?
GG

Prior Family said...

So Janae, I am 5'5" and Rebecca has almost passed me up too. (She's only 9) I can't believe it. If she has rollerblades on then she's taller. Don't worry, we can have a short party (where only short people are invited) when all our kids out grow us.

Spencer Family said...

These are such cute pictures! I can only hope my boys end up taller than me. It's funny because for years, and I mean YEARS, my parents and sisters teased me because I was never able to brake 5'0". They called me, "Runt" most days, until I finally had a growth spurt and passed all of them up, except my dad. I was sooo happy when that day came!