Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Weekend

It was really nice to have my parents in town. Every other year my parents host the Thanksgiving dinner for my side of the family. This was their off year, and my brothers and sisters and their spouses ate with their in-laws. My mom and dad did most of the cooking at our home this year. It was very helpful to watch them make the stuffing and cook the turkey. No matter how many times I try to make certain foods that I grew up eating, I just can't make them taste the same as when my parents cook them. I did make a "to die for" cococut cream pie. I got the recipe from my sister Julie. After dinner, Grandpa took the kids to see Bolt (the new disney movie). Grandpa loves to take the kids to see movies.

Friday morning, we drove to Orlando to go to Disneyworld. We have season passes, and my parents bought a 10-day pass last year. Donovan was not able to go due to the fact that he is still recovering. He is back to work and doing fair to mostly sunny. He just has to take it easy for the next four more weeks. He said he will be snow skiing when we head to Utah. The doctor said he could do whatever he wanted after eight weeks. Dreyton is really looking forward to skiing for the first time. I sure hope it snows in the Rocky mountains by the time we get there.


This picture was taken at the entrance to Magic Kingdom. Jyllian does not like her picture taken. I remember Jasmine at this same age. She didn't either.This is Cinderella's castle at Magic Kingdom it is so pretty at night. It looks like icicles hanging from the castle. There were so many Christmas lights and decorations around the parks.


At the entrance to Hollywood Studios, there was a very large Christmas tree. I couldn't get the full length of the tree with my camera. There is a new ride at Hollywood Studios called Toy Story. It is a fun ride and I recommend trying it, but it is very popular. My kids love this ride. We got fast passes at 9:45 am, but they weren't good until 5:45pm. Fast passes allow people to wait in the fast pass line and get on the rides quicker, but you have to get them early in the day. I don't ride any rides without fast passes. It just takes too long to stand in the stand-by lines.
At night, Hollywood studios has a street with millions of lights. The lights coordinate with music and it is an amazing light show. It is so pretty at night.
Jasmine was able to ride most of the rides with my sister Alicia. Jasmine really enjoyed Alicia's company. Jasmine told her friend Morgan that Alicia would paint their nails and toe nails for them. Alicia did paint their nails but not their toe nails.

I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving weekend with lots of turkey (or tofu), family, and recreation and/or rest!

7 comments:

Kristen said...

I love the new background. It looks like you had a great time (I see that return of the fannypack, which I love). The lights look so pretty at Disney World. I wish I was there.

Anne and Wayne said...

Be sure to bring your recipe for "to die for coconut cream pie" when you come for Christmas. Wayne will be so happy he may give you an extra portion in the will.

I'm glad the Peterson grandparents were able to spend the day with you. We thought about you and were glad you weren't alone.

And, it's good that you are getting more and more familiar with Disney World. We'll need some good tour guides when we go.

The Petersons said...

I'm glad you enjoyed having us there. We had a great time and loved seeing the kids. I had dejavu watching your kids tease each other. It reminded me of raising my own kids and their constant teasing. Thanks for everything. I am amazed that Janae is such a good navigator. She has really learned how to find her way around. See you soon. (Dec 23 at 11 p.m.) Love ya, mom p.s. miracles never cease, this is the first comment I have made on anyone's blog. Don't you feel special!

Catherine said...

I'm in love with the Cinderella Castle. It's gorgeous with all those lights! And I too am a big fan of the fannypack. Way to bring it back in style! ;)

Spencer Family said...

All of the lights looked amazing and like so much fun. I would love to see that someday. Actually, I'm sure our kids would love to too since they've never been. We'll have to get the scoop from you on the how's and where's of Disney World when we go.

I'm glad you had fun and family during Thanksgiving, and that Donovan is doing "fair to mostly sunny." You are so funny! I couldn't help but laugh out loud at that. :)

Karen said...

I love the castle. I tried to make Mom's mint brownies and they didn't turn out the same so I hear ya on the whole my cooking doesn't taste like Mom's.

Julie said...

Sounds like sooo much fun!