Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Our children do listen

We have tried several things to get our daughter Jasmine to stop sucking her thumb. I know she is too old to be having such a bad habit. We have put yucky thumb polish, but she sucks it off. Each night before she goes to bed we wrap her thumb with an ace bandage and place a thumb guard around her thumb. She has figured out how to get her thumb out. I will go check on her right before I go to bed, and she is asleep with her thumb in her mouth. Well, I told Jasmine that she will not be allowed to go to her friend's party if she doesn't stop sucking her thumb. I also told Jasmine she will not be playing with any friends after school until she stops. I guess she is finally starting to see the importance of not sucking her thumb, because last night she wrote a note to Heavenly Father and Jesus.

Dear Heavenly Father and Jesus,
Please help me . I need your guyses help. I need you guyses to help me to stop sucking my thumb and stop getting in fights with my friend Morgan Lynn Markle. I am thankful for you guyses and my home, clothes and my friends, also my family. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen. P.S. I love you Jesus and Heavenly Father. Love, Jasmine Danika Lott

She can be a tough cookie and she tries my patience daily. But she can also be a sweet girl. She would be very embarassed if she knew I posted her written prayer, but I thought it was very impressive.

6 comments:

Catherine said...

That just made my day! What a sweetheart. I remember similar prayers of my own like that asking Heavenly Father to help me stop sucking my thumb when I was Jasmine's age. I don't remember when I stopped sucking my thumb but my prayers must have been answered, because eventually I stopped. ;)

Julie said...

No greater lesson in humility than listening to a childs prayer.

Kristen said...

I am so glad that Jasmine wants to quit sucking her thumb. I was worried what would happen if she doesn't get to go to the party. (Mostly I was worried for Janae having to deal with Jasmine not going to the party :)

Julie said...

I need those guyses help too sometimes. I am impressed that she thought to put it into writing. I sucked my thumb until I was about 8 and probably would've gone longer if my brothers hadn't made fun of me and told all of my friends. I do not recommend that traumatic approach, but good luck finding a remedy!

Spencer Family said...

That's so sweet. I always wonder how much of an impact we make on children, good or bad. Sounds as if Jasmine's taking it to the right authority.

Karen said...

That's very sweet! I may have to try something on Ethan in a few years if he doesn't stop. Mike's sister was like 13 (maybe older) when she finally stopped sucking her thumb!